Friday, June 27, 2008

Lessons Taught by Friends - #3

The Worth of your Inner and Outer Beauty - Courtesy of Ariane


Me, Ariane, and her new baby Aria at a Salt Lake Bees Game.

Ariane is my Sister from another Mister. We have been friends since we were 18 years old (10 years!!!). She has seen me through every phase of my adult life. She was even a beautiful supportive (pregnant) bridesmaid at my wedding.
Now the thing about Ariane is that she is a lover of life! She has this amazing ability to see the beauty in all things. Luckily, she saw a beauty in me and forced me to see it and accept it, even though it made me uncomfortable, embarrassed, and sqwemish. I do not know why she took it upon herself, almost as a personal mission, to beat me into submission until I realized my personal worth. I guess that's what friends do. Over and over she would tell me (some times at great lengths) just how beautiful I am to her - inside and out.
I guess I grew up feeling slightly awkward, like a lot of young teens do. I was too tall, too skinny, bad skin and braces. Then when I finally grew out of that stage, I still didn't realize that others would find me attractive, and when they did, I felt like if I recognized it I would be a horrible self-absorbed vain person. So I didn't. Ariane taught me to hold my head up high, own up to who I am, respect myself, and be a strong woman who calls the shots. Sometimes I still struggle, but I am worlds ahead of where I was.

MySpace Comments

The timing of this post is difficult. I recently got upset with Ariane and we have not spoken for about a week. There is no need to write the details of our fight, especially when this post is intended to praise her and thank her. I found the above quote and thought it was perfect. I know that she and I will get through this. We always do. :)

Ariane I love you. Thank you for always being there for me. I have learned so much from you. You taught me "the dating rules" and tried to keep anyone from taking advantage of me - I was so clueless after my divorce. Thank you for being there and loving me - sometimes more than I loved myself. You are such a strong, beautiful, wonderful friend and an amazing mother to your children. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: