Friday, August 1, 2008

High School Reunion?

My 10 year high school reunion is tomorrow night and I still have not decided if I should go. I can make a good argument either way, and I have been over and over in my head and out loud every time someone is dumb enough to ask me what I am doing this weekend. I am sure they are expecting a simple answer but instead I ramble on and on about the pros and cons as they are inching their way towards the door saying "OK Summer...sounds good...I've gotta get back to doing nothing in particular now".

I keep thinking (with a big sign) "I'll make up my mind later" and I still have not. So now I am wondering how many of you have gone to yours, and was it a good or bad experience?

Here is my rationalization for not going:

1. If I wanted to stay in contact with these people I would have.

2. I don't want to answer the question "so what have you been up to the last 10 years" (or ask that question to anyone else!).

3. Most of the people that I know will be there are married with 2.5 kids and then we are back to the whole Utah mentality of poor Summer, don't worry one day it will happen for you too because your life can't possibly be complete the way it is now! Actually, thank you very much, I am fine with the way things are.

4. I don't have a date. Not that I would be so mean as to put another person through this kind of an awkward night should they not be legally obligated to. Karina did offer to be my date and said we could tell everyone we are a lesbian couple just to get a reaction, but that would put this on the positive list now wouldn't it?

5. It is being held at the high school.

6. There will be no cash bar.

Here is my rationalization for going:

1. I don't want to look back and wish I would have gone.

2. I am still hot and thin (oh so humble too!). What can I say? Time has been good to me.

3. I have a nice life and even if it is different from what 90% of my graduating classes lifes are like, I am rather fond of it...perhaps even proud of it.

I'll keep you posted as to what I decide to do and I look forward to hearing your feedback and stories about your reunions.

1 comment:

Salt City Mistress said...

So, did you go? I skipped my 10 year and I'm definitely glad I did. I also skipped my 15 year, I figure I'll "try" and make it to my 20.